Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pyjamas

The postman just delivered a package.  It wouldn't fit in our postbox so he rang the door bell.  'Oh Thanks...it's pyjamas!' I told him.  I often tell the postman what's in the packages like 'Oh thanks..it's Santa stuff!" or 'Oh thanks...new wellies!!' I know if I was a postman I'd find it infuriating never knowing what's in the packages that light up people's faces.  I'm sure he thinks I'm a bit zany but invariably, being Irish, there follows a discussion about weather...predictions of rain...or snow...or the scandal of climate change..you know...that thing that was supposed to give Ireland a Mediterranean climate and instead just gave us more rain.  Oh well.

Well anyway I'm sure he's wondering what's with all these pyjamas.  I'll tell you what.  I've been buying them.  For Louise.

All the children's pyjamas in this family are usually bought in Penneys, and then probably in the sales.  Cheap, cheerful and comfy.  Every year Santa brings an unusual new pair or a nightie, in fact it's now a custom and pyjamas appear on every Christmas list.

But this little girl is being treated to a new supply of extra special pyjamas.

You may remember before Louise was born the effort I went to to find a little blanket that was  just right for a sick little baby.  I know now why I made such a project out of that and I'm fully aware that that is why I've been trawling the internet for the prettiest soft, cotton, button front pyjamas.  It was, and is something I can do.  So much else is out of my hands.  There is nothing I can do to force the phone to ring, or to make sure the surgeon doesn't have a headache that day, or that a microscopic germ won't make it's way into a drain wound.  I have no control over those things.  So I'll do the things I can do. I can prepare her pillow-slips and the lovely old fashioned soft sheets her 95 year-old Great-Grandma gave us for her little hospital bed so that it will be as cosy as her own bed.   I won't be able to take away her pain or her discomfort, but I can make sure that when she's given her anaesthetic her I'll be holding her and that when she wakes up, I'll be there and she won't know I've ever left her alone.  I can control that when she's ready to be held, I'll be ready too.  And I can make sure that when her new pyjamas arrive in the post I'll wash the factory starch out of them so that when she's ready to wear them they'll be soft and familiar and smell like home.  I can do those things. So I will.


I can make sure the folks in Heaven are fully aware of what's going on and what I want from them.   Of course God's will is what I want but I can tell you I'm trying my best to instruct request that His will is that my little girl will fly through this ordeal and get on with living a full and not-breathless life.  I can't wait for that.  I know she has some strong advocates up there, not least her Grandma and her siblings watching out for her.

 I know she has one strong guy standing watch night and day.  For those of you who categorise Angels along with Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, think again...they are mentioned no less than 273 times in the Bible, both Old and New Testaments.  Jesus Himself said 'See that you do not despise even one of these little ones, for I tell you their angels continually look upon the face of My Father who is in Heaven'  That's pretty powerful!!  

I remember a while ago listening to a talk  by Ven. Archbishop Fulton Sheen about angels.  He was talking about the modern (wrong) depiction of angels as cutesy children with wings.  Or even worse today...erotically clad women. Whatever one thinks of that, I for one prefer the strong fearless beings described in the bible carrying their swords...the Greek word used is nothing short of Rhomphaia....Oh Wow!  No ineffective weaponry here, Rhomphaia refers to a huge and deadly double-edged sword such as this guy has...now that's who I hope is watching over Louise.



Bacteria BEGONE!!!!

Well, in the meantime...Thursday today...waiting for the phone to ring.  They'll ring us on a Thursday to go in on Monday for pre-op, home Monday evening to go in on Wednesday for surgery.

Tick...Tock...Tick...Tock...

Just hanging in.


Pray for us.

Jennifer xx





2 comments:

  1. Thinking and praying for you BOTH Thanks for all the updates... First of Feb is at hand so Spring is in the air.... New growth,..new hope ..new opportunity to live the year of Faith very deeply...we are all supporting you with prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful posts Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete